Celebrating Over 120 Years!
In 1895, T. E. Swann founded Swann's Furniture & Carpet Company in downtown Tyler, Texas. At the time, T. E. was only twenty years old and soon became known as "T. E. Swann, the Furniture Man."
In its early years, Swann's Furniture received merchandise shipments by rail car. Horse and mule-drawn carts were used for delivery as the automobile had yet to be invented. Many modern day appliances were introduced to Tyler by Swann's, including refrigerators and window unit air conditioners.
T. E. ran the company until 1920 when his interest in what was then known as "Swann's Furniture and Undertaking Company" was purchased by his cousin, Elam Franklin Swann, Sr. Uncomfortable with the mortuary business, Elam quickly sold that side of the company and changed the name to "Swann's Furniture."
In 1945, both of Elam's sons, Franklin Jr. and Thomas, joined the family business and gradually assumed management responsibilities. Elam Sr. passed away in 1978 after guiding the company for fifty-six years.
In 1975, Elam Franklin Swann III joined Swann's Furniture as a salesman. By 1980, he assumed management responsibilities and moved the company to a new location on the east loop in Tyler. The opening in 1989 was under the name Swann's Furniture Gallery.
In 2008, Elam's son, Elam Franklin Swann IV joined the company. Within a few years, the decision was once again made to move the store to a new location. In 2012, Swann's Furniture & Design was opened in south Tyler on Old Jacksonville Highway.
Swann's Furniture & Design is proud to have served the Tyler, Texas area for over 120 years. They remain true to their founding principles of faith, family, and service with a commitment to offering the highest quality at the lowest price.